These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca] teaching Vygotsky



Francine.

What do you believe a chronological account would add to Shirley's
interesting project?
If a chronogical layer is to be added to the work, I refer you to p. 16.
Cole and Cole. *The Development of Children*. Scientific American. 1989.

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM, larry smolucha <lsmolucha@hotmail.com>wrote:

>
> Message from Francine Smolucha:
>
> Dear Shirley et al.,
>
> This is long but worth the read.
>
> It is interesting to hear about all the courses on Vygotsky that are
> currently being offered.
> But, please note that Vygotsky's theory, and subsequent research on it, is
> routinely taught
> in intro freshman classes as well. This is not a trivial point.
>
> You might want to organize a historical chronology of Vygotsky courses.
>
> And, in doing so  special consideration should be made for undergraduate
> courses
> like introductory child development courses that are taught to freshmen. By
> 2009,
> Vygotsky is a staple in such courses. This did not happen by chance.
>
> When I started translating Vygotsky's writings in 1984, I was a community
> college professor
> teaching freshman about Vygotsky in child development courses with
> textbooks
> that never mentioned his theory.  I constantly badgered the sales reps from
> the textbook
> publishers to get Vygotsky included as a major theory along with Freud,
> Erikson, and Piaget.
> I wrote my own handout "Introduction to Vygotsky's Theory" for my students.
> In 1989, I spoke with Laura Berk at the SRCD Conference in Kansas City and
> told her
> that I was disappointed that she had not (as of that time) included
> Vygotsky's theory
> as a major theory in her child development textbook. She asked me to write
> a summary of
> Vygotsky's theory for the next edition, which I did.
> [Note: I have been a paid reviewer for numerous textbooks]
>
> As of 1991, Laura Berk's Child Development textbooks pioneered the
> inclusion of
> Vygotsky's theory in the introductory chapter on theories of child
> development.
> Course outlines at colleges gradually were revised to include Vygotsky's
> theory
> in child development courses.
>
> If my memory is correct, it was in 1984 that LeFrancois' Educational
> Psychology textbook
> pioneered the inclusion of Vygotsky's theory. The LeFrancois Ed Psych
> textbook devoted
> an entire chapter to research on Vygotsky's theory. Eventually all
> educational psychology
> textbooks would treat Vygotsky's theory as a major theory, covering
> research on
> teaching in the zone of proximal development and the role of private
> speech.
>
> I haven't looked at introductory psychology textbooks recently, but I
> suspect none of them
> has yet included Vygotsky's Theory or Leontiev's Activity Theory - Luria
> will be mentioned
> in isolation in the chapter on memory. [Please note: in thirty years of
> teaching intro psychology
> I did see one textbook that mentioned Vygotsky's work on private speech in
> the child development
> chapter.]
>
> I have taught courses in Abnormal Psychology and informed the students of
> the connection
> between Donald Meichenbaum's work and that of Vygotsky and Luria.
>
> >From 1984-1986, I introduced Vygotsky's theory to the Learning Cognition
> course at
> Governor's State University.
>
> >From 1991 to 1996, I taught Vygotsky's theory of creativity (and teaching
> in the zone of
> proximal development) to art education and art therapy students taking the
> educational psychology
> course at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
>
> This summer, I am scheduled to teach two different courses in early
> childhood education at a University
>  that will include Vygotsky and the neo-Vygotskians. Let's hope the courses
> have sufficient enrollment
> to "run."
>
>
>
>
>
> > To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> > From: s.franklin@dsl.pipex.com
> > Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:58:52 +0100
> > Subject: [xmca] teaching Vygotsky
> >
> > We are doing some research into courses which teach about Vygotsky.
> > Would really welcome feedback in terms of course name and level, and
> > place.
> >
> > Thanks so much for your co-operation
> >
> > Shirley
> > _______________________________________________
> > xmca mailing list
> > xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> > http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Hotmail® has a new way to see what's up with your friends.
>
> http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/WhatsNew?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_WhatsNew1_052009_______________________________________________
> xmca mailing list
> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
>
_______________________________________________
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca