Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Behaviourism

Dear all,

I have changed my mind!

I read the first 6 chapters of Vygotsky's 1926 Educational Psychology tonight (written probably around 1921-23 according to the editors), including Davydov's introduction, plus I re-read LSV's Jan 1924 talk (Methods of Reflexological and Psychological Investigation) and 1925 essay (Consciousness as a Problem) and Nikolai's posts and some other materials I have of his (but NOT his book Undiscovered Vygotsky, which I really wish I had) and re-reviewed Jussi's paper again.

I learned a lot! I have been learning a great deal from the whole thread around Jussi's paper. Many thanks to everyone's posts, thoughts, arguments, questions, all very helpful. Lot's of eye- opening stuff. And special thanks to you for joining in, Nikolai.

I now think Jussi is correct, (along with VV Davydov, Nikolai, David, etc.), that Vygotsky did undergo a major intellectual shift in 1927, much more profound than I had realized, or had seriously looked into. I had said Jussi was on "thin ice" but now I see he is on solid ground. I am the one who was all wet about that! LOL