Re: [xmca] Vygotsky's Plural Discourse!!

Haydi, yes, I continue to be in agreement with Engels and the theory of the labor origins of human society. I view labor as a special case of activity, 'special' by virtue of it being activity that is associated with producing necessities for human survival and development. I am not certain how to strictly distinguish labor from activity in general. In any case, all the discoveries by classical Marxism about labor still very much hold, in my opinion.

I am at a point where I am trying to catch my breath and catch up with the flurry of complex questions being discussed.

The questions that I believe you are emphasizing in your post, Haydi, are totally germaine. Is there or is there not a fundamental conflict between Leontiev's view of activity as the unit of life, and Vygotsky's view of word-meaning as the unit of consciousness? How can both be true? If one is true, doesn't that mean the other has to be false? And if Engels was right, while this may or may not make Leontiev right, doesn't it make Vygotsky wrong?

To ask this question another way, to pick up on Sasha's dialogue with me: isn't trying to combine the theories of Vygotsky and Leontiev a classic example of eclecticism?

Since we are discussing these two trends, I will also bring up one more, which Sasha speaks to: that of Ilyenkov and A. Meshcheryakov. All three of these trends - LSV, ANL, and I/M - claim to follow in M&E's footsteps. Sasha argues that these three approaches are mutually incompatible at the level of psychological theory, and have fundamentally different approaches to life, culture and history, and consciousness.

Sasha provided a chart comparing these three trends in his December post, comparing them according to whether "life" is taken into account, whether "culture and history" is taken into account, and what "unit of analysis" was being used. Jussi provided a chart comparing three time periods of Vygotsky through which he developed his theory of signs as semiotic mediators, comparing "explanatory concepts" and "methodology of inquiry" in each period.

Could continuing with a comparative approach like this help us? What questions could we ask the writings left behind by Vygotsky I, II and III, AN Leontiev, Ilyenkov, and Meshcheryakov - and for that matter, Marx and Engels - that could help us sort out how their theories would respond to specific questions about life, activity, culture and history, consciousness? How could we formulate these kinds of questions precisely and usefully? What questions could help drive out things like what units of analysis and what explanatory concepts did each writer (and time period of each writer, where applicable) employ for specific areas of inquiry? What other kinds of questions like these could we ask?

In other words, in the spirit of comparative methodology, what relevant **questions** could we ask each of them that would render **different responses**?

I certainly have my thinking cap on ...

Highest regards,
- Steve