RE: [xmca] US discovers capitalism doesn't work

From: Ellen Scully-Russ <escully.russ who-is-at verizon.net>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 11:51:50 PDT

Jenny and others,

You may want to check out the Neighbor to Neighbor page on Obama's website
(link below) - It is a pretty cool example of what the emerging practice of
web based political organizing has produced. The system is designed to help
grassroots activists do exactly what you hope to do by canvassing -
influence their neighbors' vote.

The site helps you plan and coordinate your canvassing activities. First it
allows you to download a list of voters in your neighborhood, including
their contact information. Once you download them you claim them as your
own so no one else but you will contact them. This avoids repeated
calls/knocks at the door that tend to turn some voters off and it also
avoids duplication of effort and maximizes the volunteers' time and effort.

In addition you can download talking points on major issues and you can even
customize brochures to leave behind in your canvassing. I have not been on
the site lately so I do not know whether it now incorporates a response to
the latest events in the economy and on Wall Street - but if not, you may
still find it to be a useful resource in preparing your time in the field.

Finally, those interested in web 2.0 technology and in political organizing
may want to check it out as an interesting example of a new organizing tool
that has potential for changing how we conduct political campaigns as well
as how we think about political organizing.

http://my.barackobama.com/modules/votercontact/login_signup.php

Good luck out there,
Ellen Scully-Russ