Re: [xmca] US discovers capitalism doesn't work

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sat Sep 20 2008 - 15:36:24 PDT

I'm seeing one advance on the ideological front: It is now a commonplace
observation in the mainstream media that what we're seeing is a system in
which "profits are being privatized, while losses are being socialized."

As for Martin's observations on the consciousness of participants: It
reminds me of a class I had in law school in which the Professor
characterized as "Marxist" an interpretation that attributed market
failures to corruption and criminality (not acting according to the norms
of the system). I protested, of course, that such is ANYTHING BUT a
Marxist analysis. Marxism is more concerned with how capitalism operates
when the players ARE playing by its rules.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu