RE: [xmca] National Mathematics Advisory Panel

From: Karen Wieckert <wieckertk who-is-at mail.belmont.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 13:18:44 PDT

Peter,

What a very good question! I am not an educational researcher per se, but a designer of information technologies. I am however acquainted with the world of educational research from a long time affiliation with my spouse! The use of "design experiments" which may differ from what you suggest as "formative experiments" I believe would need to fit within the criteria developed by report's Subcommittee on Standards Of Evidence.

>From Page. 7-9 from the REPORT OF THE SUBCOMMITTEE ON STANDARDS OF EVIDENCEā€”DRAFT 3//6/08
C. Instructional Practices Task Group
1. Topics and content
a) Effects of instructional practice, teaching strategies, and instructional materials on
mathematics achievement.
2. Coverage
a) Published in a peer-reviewed journal or government report.
b) Published in English, 1976 or after.
3. Study samples
a) Children, kindergarten through high school level.
4. Study methods
a) Randomized experiments or quasi-experiments with techniques to control for bias
(matching, statistical control) or demonstration of initial equivalence on important
pretest variables.
b) Attrition of less than 20% or evidence that the remaining sample is equivalent to the
original sample on important variables.