Re: [xmca] What new and interesting?

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 10:46:34 PDT

Hi Michael,

OK, we're in agreement on the point that has to be made. The question then
is how best to make it. In the movement for mixed methods, which seems to be
founded unquestioningly on the kind of division of labor that Shavelson
summarizes, with qualitative research relegated once more to the
descriptive, hypothesis-testing phase, to be used only when more ´powerful´
designs are unavailable? On in a critique of the dubious assumptions
underlying quantitative research: of a world of natural, independent
entities with purely causal relations? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm inclined
to go for the second option. Do you find the first option more appropriate
strategically/epistemologically/ethically?

Martin