RE: [xmca] Vygotsky on Imagination and Creativity [and imitation]

From: Michael G. Levykh <mglevykh who-is-at telus.net>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2008 - 17:52:34 PDT

Yes, Phil. Thank you for the quotation and the webpage.

It does strike a few dissonant chords; particularly, in suggesting that
emotions cannot be "approached" directly. In this case, imitation becomes an
appropriate mediator. But there is more than imitation. Here, there is an
interaction with others who also carry their own emotional experiences. So
it is, as I speculate, not only through understanding others that we
understand ourselves, but also through the emotional experiences
(perezhivaniye) of others do we also understand (and appreciate) our own
perezhivaniye. I can also imagine that we would not normally engage into
imitation of other people unless we feel somehow "connected directly with/to
them and/or with a common activity/goal. Hence, emotional connection is "the
beginning and the end, the alpha and omega, etc."

Forgive me for my own spin of inferences, but as I am finalizing my thesis,
there are so many different aspects of learning, teaching, developing, and
living that come together (in my understanding) through emotional mediation.

Thank you, Phil.
Cheers,
Michael.