RE: [xmca] Vygotsky on Imagination and Creativity

From: Michael G. Levykh <mglevykh who-is-at telus.net>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2008 - 16:34:01 PDT

Thank you, Mike, for asking this question. It has been a while since I read
this work, but because of your question, as I now skim through the text,
Vygotsky's quoting Pistrak, come to mind as being an extremely relevant to
my interests:

"It is not so much that artistic education provides knowledge or skills, but
rather it gives a tone to life or, perhaps, it would be more accurate to
say-a background for living. The convictions that we may inculcate in school
through knowledge, only grow roots in the child's psyche when these
convictions are reinforced emotionally" (p. 55).

For me, the emotional reinforcement is an equivalent to (a) internalization
(ingrowing, vraschivaniye) and (b) integration of emotions into the entire
psychological structure (fusing with every higher mental function and
system). Although in this particular quotation Pistrak talks about artistic
education, there is a sense that his thought is generalized across
curriculum so as to make every subject (even every lesson in every subject)
artistic, imaginative; that is, to reinforce with (in my understanding)
positive emotional experience. The result is the child's feeling the
"ownership" of possessing and acting upon such knowledge.

How exactly can emotional integration also be generalized into adult
education and (hopefully) development? I need to read more to attempt
answering this question.

Cheers,

Michael.

  _____