Re: [xmca] Inside Outside

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 19:19:08 PDT

Hi David,
I think you misunderstood me and I am sorry you feel you have to
apologize. I wasn't saying anything about your use of praat or other
stuff. I was saying something about my hope that we abandon internal/
external. The problem is that educators, interested in modifying
individuals, require this kind of talk. I do understand. I was a
teacher for many years.

But I think ANALYTICALLY you don't want to maintain that distinction.

I see the problems resurfacing in this message, where David takes
about his praxis, but discussions where about analytic categories.
This is not a good mix, and we have discussed this here in earlier
strands when people discussed the confusion between activity (or
community of practice or . . . ) as analytic concepts versus when
they are used as design concepts.

This is along the same lines that I see Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger
to have parted ways, the former continuing to insist on the analytic
nature of the concepts they forged (CoP, LPP) and the latter using
the concepts to help companies to change practices of training people
at work....

I think it would help to separate out the two different discourses,
related to very different value system. The problem with education
and other fields is that their declared intent is in most cases not
growth and development of the best in them but manipulation of people
to speak specific discourses----just look at math and science
education, two disciplines I am more familiar with. It is all about
making people conform to standards that conservative politicians in
cahoots with GWB and the likes impose on an entire nation,
indoctrinating everyone to a particular ideology, and getting
researchers, who ought to know better, buy into the ideology so that
they get something from the granting feeding trough.

:-)

Cheers,

Michael

PS: Again, David, I did not critique your work, your analyses---it's
all about the categories. :-)