Re: [xmca] Inside Outside

From: Mark deBoer <mark who-is-at ias-group.com>
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 03:15:23 PDT

Dear David,

I'm not sure if missed the point on your research.

First of all, your juxtaposition of a 'native speaker' and an
'expert?' teacher, to me has very little validity. Your first example
of the teacher using a display question to elicit information is, in
my mind the wrong way round for education.
Of course the native speaker in front of a classroom will formulate
the questions for his own ideas not formulate them with the children,
simply because he's trying to get them to talk the way he thinks they
should talk. He's not talk with them, he's talking to them. I detest
this kind of teaching, it simply isn't teaching.
I've seen too many teachers sit with students around a table and tell
students to ask each other questions, in turn, making sure the grammar
is correct in both the question and the answer before going onto the
next student.

Display questions too, don't have a place in the classroom, much more
than open ended up intonation questions that leave the student
wondering what's coming next. Is this the way you try to avoid display
questions?

Recently doing my own study of the classroom and its discourse only
shows that education works with imperatives (going back to Wells'
paper and the ancillary discourse which is used to keep the classroom
in control) and questions that are only to support the traditional IRF
exchange. Students rarely if ever ask questions, despite the fact that
by creating a classroom where the students ask questions, the students
can formulate their own ideas about the language.

This intonation... is this really how we talk? The use of display
questions though to discuss gestures versus intonation, I just don't
understand.

Mark