RE: [xmca] Re: One more example: errors in translation/interpretation

From: Alexander Surmava <monada who-is-at netvox.ru>
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 20:59:56 PDT

Hi Mike and Martin,

Anna Stetsenko's remarks about incorrectness of translation are absolutely
exact.

>".the overall context makes clear that Vygotsky is arguing for a radically
new approach and

 new psychology that cannot be reduced to either one of the existing forms."

In the same time that is not mere a problem of bad translation. Vygotsky
himself gives us a lot of occasions to be confused. The fact of the matter
is that he was only on his way to new dialectic and/or Marxist psychology
and made only first steps in this direction. His words "We had better let
others say of our psychology that it is Marxist than call it that
ourselves." were not mere a sign of modesty but substantially adequate
self-appraisal.

The situation with Vygotsky's Marxism is utterly contradictory. Most of
Russians and ex-Soviet psychologists are
<file:///E:\Users\MAPASON%20VISTA\AppData\Local\Temp\Word_0> moving heaven
and earth to cut LSV away from this disagreeable (for them) Marxism. In the
same time those who doesn't feel an antipathy to Marx and Marxism regarding
Vygotsky's theorizing as a classical example of Marxist, dialectic
thinking. Thus Andy Blunden asserts "Vygotsky's study of the relationship of
thought and language is a model of the materialist application of the
dialectical method of the first order of importance, both by reason of its
results and of its methods." Andy is my friend, but I can't share his
statement. Moreover I think that just that very case is very expressive
example of Vygotsky's failure in realizing dialectical approach. The first
idea that thinking and speech have different and independent roots is
basically incompatible with the next one concerning their "dialectical"
interaction. Those which are mutually alien are doomed to fruitful
superficial relation and any genuine dialectical relation in this case is
totally impossible.

The same difficulties we meet trying to understand Vygotsky's approach as
Marxist historicism. Alas, but we can hardly estimate it this way too. The
notion of development which starts from causal mechanical stimulus-reactive
relation and with aid of "cultural sign" jumps to free consciousness has
nothing to do with dialectic, but is nothing but banal dues ex machina.

There is no doubt that Vygotsky sincerely tried to realize Marxist approach,
moreover he left us a lot of brilliant theoretic insights in this field. But
in general he failed in realizing the task of formulating the new
dialectical psychology. We have to judge by researcher's deeds and not by
researcher's words. Vygotsky has left us many passionate arguments for
Marxist psychology and we agree with most of them. Thus he was the first
psychologist who indicated to ideas of Marx and Spinoza as to the key to
resolving of psychophysical problem. But Vygotsky had too short lifetime
and too insufficient theoretic tools to apply Marxist dialectic to real
psychological problems.

The problem of opposition of natural-scientific "materialist" approach and
descriptive "idealistic" approach as well as the problem of the "third way"
is one more example of theoretic difficulties faced by Vygotsky. Cutting
away one, say "idealistic", side of opposition we have no chance to gain a
materialistic theory as a prize. To have a chance to sublate this abstract
opposition we have to start from the solid starting point of rational
materialistic resolution of psychophysical problem. Otherwise we will face
the same problem under different mask. In other words to overcome the
metaphysical opposition of natural-scientific and descriptive we have to
base on Il'enkov-Spinozian idea of "thinking body" and his idea of ideality
as an attribute of human's material tool.

In other words, to understand Vygotsky's theoretic heritage we need to
analyze the problems and not his abstract texts. In this case we will win
double prize - understanding both Vygotsky and theoretic problems. Otherwise
we will sustain a defeat in solving of both tasks.

      Sasha Surmava