[xmca] perhaps. . .

From: ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 09:14:34 PST

. . .this may be a better definition of a zoped:

a culturally based activity that provides an opportunity for individuals to
apply scientific concepts to everyday experiences via the assistance of
somebody more experienced with the scientific concepts related to the goals
of the culturally based activity.

Unfortunately I implied in the prior post there was assistance of someone
with experience. I would also like to emphasize that the question posed by
the teacher in the room would be a set up to allow the students to ask
questions of the speaker, fulfilling the imitation requirement that
Vygotsky emphasizes in his chapter, "The development of scientific concepts
in childhood" of his "Thought and Language" tome. Page 188 of the 1999
Kozulin translated edition, "In the child's development. . .imitation and
instruction play a major role. . .what the child can do in cooperation
today he can do alone tomorrow." I believe the example I provided
yesterday would be what Vygotsky is referring to as cooperation.

eric