Re: thanks Anna, Peter and......

From: Vera John-Steiner (vygotsky@unm.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 20:29:43 PST

Hi,
Mike mentions some of the events of the 70s and 80s and contact between
Soviet collegues and those of us residing in the USA. My somewhat difficult
road towards citizenship in this country is strangely connected to these
contacts. I was a resident alien when I started to work with Mike, Sylvia
Scribner and Ellen Souberman on the manuscripts which eventually became the
basis of Mind in Society. Luria was still alive and I corresponded with him
in English. He kindly answered some of my questions. while Mike was away on
his field work. The correspondence turned up in the INS office in El Paso,
and I was accused by the officers of the Immigration and Naturalization
service of denying that I knew Russian, they considered me dangerous. They
denied my application. But this being America, there was a transcript of the
interrogation which was suffieciently brutal, particularly about my
experiences during World War II, that it eventually mobilized some
influential citizens. After a few years,(during the Carter administration)
the decision was reversed, and I became a citizen. My story may be relevant
today as non-citizens are experiencing anew the awesome power of the INS.

Another memory:In 1980, The Center for Psychosocial Studies in Chicago
organized an international meeting of Vygotsky scholars with Jim Wertsch's
help and leadership. Davydov was present, but Zinchenko was unable to
attend. I wondered about the difference in their ability to travel. Mike was
that before or after Davydov was expelled from the party?

I guess it is not surprising that part of Vygotsky's legacy is a
politically complex and difficult one,

Vera