Re: On Interactivity and Digital Media - interesting

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 07:22:43 PST

I don't see how it has to be one thing OR the other -- manipulation OR decision making. Technology has rarely entirely closed off creative possibilities not anticipated by the designers -- except perhaps for such ultra-restrictive devices in "A clockwork orange". The work Paul Horwitz and I did in developing and investigating the RelLab program structure, including its interface, indicated the kind of manipulation we tried to build in, (the Teaching by Constraint section in ourpaper our paper together describes this) and my problem-solving interviews with the students revealed just how students thwarted many of those attempts. A lot of the story was not reported in that paper, unfortunately, and the theoretical framework for one of us has since undergone radical reconceptualization. Anyway, Martin successfully manipulated me to respond. But I see how our pasts can shape our interpretations. No argument there.

"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]