[Xmca-l] Re: understanding & Leontyev's activities

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Aug 11 22:03:46 PDT 2013

Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful chapter, Huw, which I hadn't
read since laying it out for printing  4 years ago!
I have made that chapter generally available on line here:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/leontev/works/1945/childs-psyche.pdf

I think the point you make is correct enough, but the word "only" (or
"merely") is omitted. As I understand it, Leontyev's point it that at a
certain point the child does understand that doing the homework is
necessary in order to become later a useful member of society, but he
*only* "understands" it. It does not have the psychological force of,
for example, just being allowed to go out and play because he has
completed his homework - the "really effective motive". So this was not
intended as an explanation of "understanding" but rather is about the
psychological force which the real motive of the activity has for the
child at that stage of their development. But I still think you are
making a correct point, i.e., your "understanding" of a task is the
psychological force it has for you as appropriate to your social
situation. Loeontyev is then talking about how the child may make a
transition from "merely understanding the reaon for doing homework, to
that motive becoming the really effective motive for the child's study,
i.e., they are effectively motivated to learn to become a more
productive member of society by mastering the material being studied.
(We would not put it that way in our times, though, I think)

Maybe Peg Griffin, who helped us a lot back in May 2011 with this same
material, can help?

Andy