[Xmca-l] Re: Unit of Analysis

"if something explains everything, it in fact explains nothing" ? To say that there is always something in between any two things you want to mention is not "explaining everything."

"If the body is mediating, then between what and what?"
Basically between mind and body. Initially there is no such distinction, for a new-born, for example. But this distinction arises through practical interactions with the infant's socio-cultural environment, the same way a child gets to know that that there is *my hand* and that there is *not me*, etc. Repeating medieval aphorisms about "no distinctions between mind and body" and denouncing this as a "Western construct" - things one hears from time to time - is a waste of breath. We are not born with such a distinction, but we make one, and after a certain age, almost everything we do is mediated by consciousness, even if that consciousness is delusional.

Also, we now know that the characteristically human adaptations - our upright gait, our speech-enabled larynx and our hands are *cultural inheritances*, just like the landscape, crops, domesticated animals and tools we use, not to mention our languages, art, religions, etc. All *artefacts* mediating our activity. You can say that these things explain nothing if you like, but I am not convinced.

http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm
https://andyblunden.academia.edu/research