[Xmca-l] Re: An article on the evolution of organizational paradigms you might find interesting

Hi Mike,

Thanks. Yes, many analogies can be found here. Naoki Ueno's work is an important contribution to understanding the connections between social and technical processes. MCA's special issue on his work was very helpful to get familiar with it. There is also a close connection between our paper and Yrjö Engeström's work & Developmental Work Research. I work on a paper to elaborate on that connection.
Kind regards,
Zlatko
Hi Zlatko--

Thanks for the additional information about the line of work on evolution
of management models you are engaged in with Paul Adler. Notions like
neo-Schumperterian models of organizational and management change are a
novelty for me but the apparent analogies between processes evoked in the
developmental progression your diagrams depict are strongly reminiscent of
similar diagrams in the literature I know about various stage theories of
ontogeny and process of change.

I am not sure you checked out the earlier discussion of socio-technical
systems in the work of Naoki Ueno and his colleagues caught your attention,
but that line of inquiry might provide a bridge between the
organizational/management evolution literature and the lines of reseach
more familiar to xmca readers.

I hope there is followup to the connections your work points to.

mike