[Xmca-l] Re: Fw: Re: Vygotsky,Marx, & summer reading

Haydi, I really can't deal with so many questions, certainly not if we want this to be more than a dialogue between the two of us. So I will respond to your first paragraph only.

Here is Hegel on moments: https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/sl/slsubjec.htm#SL163 . It comes at the beginning of "The Concept" because it is only with the formation of a concept of the whole that moments of the whole can arise. Universal, Particular and Individual are the archetypes of "moments" for Hegel, but he also sees the Legislature, the Executive (public service) and the Crown (or President) as three moments of the state. The name of a thing is a whole -everyone is a person ("person" = Universal). But humanity is also made up communities, it being taken that a person cannot be a person unless they participate in some human community ("community" in this sense = particular). And every person is an individual, born at some time and place and dying in some time and place, with their own unique mind ("individual"). Do you see the sense in which these 3 moments are all simultaneously the whole?

All the various communities are parts of the whole of humanity, just as each individual is a part of a community. But we can equally say that the various demographic groupings (age, gender, employment, etc.) are parts of the whole. It depends on the units chosen, that is, of how the whole is conceived.

Here is Hegel on whole and parts: https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/sl/slappear.htm#SL135 .

Our mind does not create the problem; our minds are part of the same social formation which creates the object we think about and reproduce in our activity. Nonetheless, it is always legitimate to ask how much of a basis a given "whole" has in the material world or in activity. For example, when a science first begins it orients to an object which is an Appearance (or Phenomenon) - some problem strikes the eye and people address themselves to it. For example, as a young man Marx was outraged by the injustices he saw around him in Germany - censorship, autocracy, persecution of the peasantry, etc - but after 20 years of study he formed a different conception of the whole - capitalism. David made the same point last week pointing to how Vygotsky said that some sciences addressed themselves to natural wholes (including pedology) while other sciences studied the general processes underlying phenomena (Psychology, Medicine, Biology, ...). So the whole is not arbitrary - different wholes, different units, different problems, different insights, different remedies.

That's more than enough!

https://andyblunden.academia.edu/research