[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

That remark by Lenin is his only comment on a passage of a hundred pages or so of the Science of Logic, the passage where in his own idealistic way Hegel is discussing effectively the Party question. It is extremely obscure and I gather it went over Lenin's head. Nonetheless, Lenin's notes were where I got started on Hegel and marked the beginning of the return of Marxists to a study of Hegel in the 20th century. Not Lukacs, not Korsch or Horkheimer, but Lenin.

As to Marx's remark in the Afterword to Capital and Engels reference to it in "Ludwig Feuerbach" I always liked it and repeated it to others, too. But it did function as a kind of explanation of why I didn't study Hegel and believed that it was good enough to just read Marx. Once I got started reading Hegel I did not find the aphorism useful. It was kind of obvious that I had to penetrate the hard shell of logical rigmarole to get what I wanted. But how?? The idea of standing it on its head gave me no guidance at all. So I try to dissuade people who might want to tackle Hegel to not use this aphorism as a guide.