[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

James, the meaning for words such as "material" and to a lesser extent the other words in your message have meanings which are extremely context (or discourse) dependent. The Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy doesn't have a definition of Matter, considering it only in relation to Form, but their definition of Substance will do the trick. I follow Lenin and Vygotsky in my understanding of matter. (Hegel didn't like to use the word, because he took it as too linked to Atomism. Marx used "material" in a very specific way to do with reproduction of the means of life.)

As to the philosophical meaning of "matter" I think I said it in the paper as succinctly as possible. If it's in the mind then it is not material. I can't make sense of your last question.