[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Brian Street, R.I.P.
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Brian Street, R.I.P.
- From: Shirley Franklin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 23:58:50 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=btcpcloud; t=1498172489; bh=sC0yxHnyX0eBemxTjHunYlxR9cbYMy6BKeVqT+YjDPI=; h=From:Message-Id:Mime-Version:Subject:Date:In-Reply-To:Cc:To:References:X-Mailer; b=KA5+xjMECCmLk3Tpe6by4bXGr3DGRPZXnP/5F2S6QzlAUc8vh38p9AyKdz9AvFQjrBcbHEZvNfhat95367x0v7xR/NPy5hhYCnywtWu+NgFJkmecxIPWUL0XK4LDp+VJrJAE28tAoyf3VGF0YJK593oRiGqnk2WetaOLeGRN9QI=
- In-reply-to: <BLUPR02MB125135A060DEE0F2EAA6F371A4DB0@BLUPR02MB1251.namprd02.prod.outlook.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <BLUPR02MB125135A060DEE0F2EAA6F371A4DB0@BLUPR02MB1251.namprd02.prod.outlook.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
It is so sad that my close, close friend of 50 years has died.
I got to know Brian as a student at the Oxford Institute of Social Anthropology - not only an academic institution, but also a deeply social one, in the Institute and in the pub!
And so started a friendship that impacted on the rest of my life, intellectually and socially. And on our families' lives too. We had such great shared holidays.
He was also our best man.
And here we are, recently, in a posh Brighton pub.
> On 22 Jun 2017, at 23:10, Peter Smagorinsky <email@example.com> wrote:
> From: David Bloome <firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>> For those of us who draw upon new literacies scholarship, you will join me in mourning Brian Street.
> It is with great sadness and pain that I share with you that our friend and colleague Brian Street died last night. Lalu shared with us that he was listening to Jazz when he died. Brian had been fighting a long time against a cancer that had riddled his body. There is no information yet about memorial and funeral arrangements. Brian will be remembered for his scholarship and theorizing on literacy and culture; for many of us, we will remember most his optimism about life, his eagerness to engage people in conversation, his friendship, the many doors he opened for others, his love of jazz, and beer at the Bristol pub on Sunday evenings.