[Xmca-l] FW: mom

Gotta brag about my mom…..she’s among the women-in-science now being recognized retroactively for their contributions to various fields. I never got the STEM gene, and my parents’ involvement in the hard sciences probably makes me different from a lot of my social science colleagues.

Interesting note: one of my meteorology colleagues at Georgia says that “hard sciences” are increasingly social sciences because of the impact of people on nature. Maybe we’re onto something.

From: Sarah Witman [mailto:witmansarah@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2017 8:33 PM
To: Peter Smagorinsky <smago@uga.edu>
Subject: Re: mom

Hi Peter,

Just wanted to let you know my piece is up on Smithsonian.com (your mom is mentioned about six paragraphs in: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/meet-computer-scientist-you-should-thank-your-phone-weather-app-180963716/). Thanks again for your help with this!

Sarah

Sarah Witman
920-379-6591
sarahwitman.com<http://sarahwitman.com>