[Xmca-l] Re: Mediating Activity and Mediated Activity

David, I am responding to "Tool use--and even tool manufacture--is quite common in higher primates. But while the higher primates regularly use gesture, there is no evidence of any other species developing anything like a lexicogrammar."

In his somewhat discredited book "Ape, Primitive Man and Child," Vygotsky makes the point that the form of activity which is found in non-human animals in *rudimentary* form but is fully developed in humans, is the key to the "transition from ape to man" and is thus the "essence of man" (to use a lot of 19th century language). That is why he was so determined, at the time, to find "rudimentary" forms of writing among not-literate peoples (those memory sticks and knots).

For all the faults of this work, I think this was a profound insight. What he seemed to have been blind to is that the larynx evolved together with the hand, and human beings learnt to speak at the same time as they learnt to make tools. It was only in 1931 that he recognised that a spoken word was as much a sign as a piece of technology manufactured for communicative purposes - which nonetheless, did turn out to mark a qualitative leap in human cultural development.

The great insight from this work is that despite himself, he looked *not* at the attribute of human beings which was exclusively found among humans (lexicogrammar) as the "essence of man," but on the contrary to the mediating activity which produced the change from one species to another. This is the Hegelian idea of concept, a.k.a. species, as opposed to the positivist concept of species/concept which looks for "essential" attributes as definitive. But he didn;t know that until 1931.