[Xmca-l] Re: Mediating Activity and Mediated Activity

I think the evidence is in that speech and labour (i.e., tool-use) co-evolved, but writing came a whole epoch later. I do not think it is a sustainable "developmentalist" point of view that a form of activity can first be differentiated and then be mediated: the mediation and the differentiation co-evolve (so to speak). That's the whole point.

On my update to:
https://www.academia.edu/4781886/From_where_did_Vygotsky_get_his_Hegelianism

I never claimed that Vygotsky only got his Hegel through Marx: his knowledge of Hegel was mediated through a number of sources (including Lenin and Engels and probably Plekhanov, followers of Deborin and Lewin). The correction you referred to was my admission that the passage you drew my attention to in HDHMF I had overlooked in my catalogue, and that it had to be included with the one or two other allusions which seem to have come from a reading of the section of Hegel's Subjective Spirit named "Psychology". Someone, c. 1931, drew his attention to these passages. There are other passages of The Subjective Spirit which would have been of great interest to Vygotsky and would certainly have been appropriated if he had ever read them, but he hadn't, far less the Logic (though he had studied Lenin's Annotations on the Logic) or the Phenomenology, which no Marxist or Psychologist read in the period of his lifetime.

Is it time yet, David, for you to make a correction to your claim that the Vygotsky archive would eventually turn up Vygotsky's annotations on the Phenomenology?