[Xmca-l] Re: Mediating Activity and Mediated Activity

I didn't see a question mark anywhere David, but (for reasons of my own) could I just note that Vygotsky is not really quoting Hegel, but rather quoting Marx quoting Hegel's Shorter Logic in an author's footnote to /Capital/. Marx puts an interesting twist on the point Hegel is making in the original. I think it is a twist which preserves Hegel's meaning, but it is really the opposite of what Hegel is saying.

By "the cunning of Reason" Hegel means how History and social processes in general unfold according to their own logic, irrespective of the intentions of their human actors. Marx twists this to make the point that natural objects act according to human purposes, not their material properties as such.

I agree that when Hegel is talking about human affairs, "Spirit" means "Activity", but of course unlike Marx, Hegel deifies Spirit. For Marx, men make history, only not under conditions of their own choosing. For Hegel, men are mere tools of the Weltgeist (world spirit).

I was able to grasp the distinction between mediating and mediated activity, though given that all activity is mediated and all activity is mediating, the distinction strikes me as academic in the extreme. I remain to be convinced that Hegel knoew of any such distinction.

The paragraph following the note on "cunning of Reason" in the Shorter Logic is an interesting one:

TheRealised Endis thus the overt unity of subjective and objective. It is however essentially characteristic of this unity, that the subjective and objective are neutralised and cancelled only in the point of their one-sidedness, while the objective is subdued and made conformable to the End, as the free notion, and thereby to the power above it. The End maintains itself against and in the objective: for it is no mere one-sided subjective or particular, it is also the concrete universal, the implicit identity of both. This universal, as simply reflected in itself, is the content which remains unchanged through all the three/termini/of the syllogism and their movement.