Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 11:40 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Blackface and Gayface

Your depiction of "the black community in America" presents a monolithic
picture that I think isn't fair or true to the intricacies of racial/ethnic
identity, community, and community affiliation that many on this listserv
have investigated at length, on this listserv and in their own scholarship.

Sure, the notion of "black identity" is constructed--as constructed,
although to very different effect, as "white identity" is. And yet it's
dangerous to be Black in America, regardless of whether a person "buys" the
notion of black identity. A person who is perceived by others as Black
might not identify as such, but that doesn't enable them to avoid the very
real physical and systemic dangers that Black people face. None of the
people responsible for the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown and
Freddie Gray and Tamir Rice and Sandra Bland cared whether they identified
as Black, nor whether they were affiliated with a Black church or listened
to rap music.

My research focuses on queer and transgender issues in education, and when
I describe gender as a social construct I commonly also include this quote
from Julia Serano:

"Instead of trying to fictionalize gender, let’s talk about the moments in
life when gender feels all too real. Because gender doesn’t feel like drag
when you’re a young trans child begging your parents not to cut your hair
or not to force you to wear that dress. And gender doesn’t feel like a
performance when, for the first time in your life, you feel safe and
empowered enough to express yourself in ways that resonate with you, rather
than remaining closeted for the benefit of others. And gender doesn’t feel
like a construct when you finally find that special person whose body,
personality, identity, and energy feels like a perfect fit with yours.
Let’s stop trying to deconstruct gender into nonexistence, and instead
start celebrating it as inexplicable, varied, profound, and intricate.

So don’t you dare dismiss my gender as construct, drag, or performance. My
gender is a work of non-fiction."

--

Jacob McWilliams
Educational Psychology and Learning Sciences Program

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:37 AM, Dr. Paul C. Mocombe <