[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Verizon's greed

Hey! Well done Helen.
Another way of explaining it is in the movie "City Slickers" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1uOqRb0HUA
On 25/04/2016 2:34 PM, Helen Grimmett wrote:
This showed up in my facebook feed not so long ago!

Inline images 1
A beautiful Japanese word : Ikigai

Ikigai (生き甲斐, pronounced [ikiɡai]) is a Japanese concept meaning "a reason for being". Everyone, according to the Japanese, has an ikigai. Finding it requires a deep and often lengthy search of self. Such a search is regarded as being very important, since it is believed that discovery of one's ikigai brings satisfaction and meaning to life.[1]
Finding the purpose of your life.
The Japanese call it IKIGAI and this is how you derive it.
— @emmyzen (Emmy van Deurzen)
The term ikigai is composed of two Japanese words: iki (生 き?), referring to life, and kai (甲斐?), which roughly means "the realisation of what one expects and hopes for". In the culture of Okinawa, ikigai is thought of as "a reason to get up in the morning"; that is, a reason to enjoy life...the word is used to refer to mental and spiritual circumstances under which individuals feel that their lives are valuable. It's not necessarily linked to one's economic status or the present state of society. Even if a person feels that the present is dark, but they have a goal in mind, they may feel ikigai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikigai <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikigai> — with Punnapa Norsaengsri <https://www.facebook.com/punnapa.norsaengsri>.

--

*Dr HELEN GRIMMETT *
Lecturer in Primary and Early Years Education

*Education*
Monash University
Room 159, Building 902, Berwick Campus
100 Clyde Road
Berwick VIC 3806
Australia

T: +61 3 9904 7171
E:helen.grimmett@monash.edu <mailto:name.surname@monash.edu>
monash.edu <http://monash.edu/>

*Recent work:*
Helen Grimmett (2016): The Problem of “Just Tell Us”: Insights from Playing with Poetic Inquiry and Dialogical Self Theory, /Studying Teacher Education/, DOI: 10.1080/17425964.2016.1143810
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17425964.2016.1143810

Helen Grimmett (2014), The Practice of Teachers' Professional Development: A Cultural-Historical Approach <https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/professional-learning-1/the-practice-of-teachers-professional-development/>,
Rotterdam: Sense Publishers