[Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

Greg, to respond to your question on the strength of a cable. It is actually calculated the same way as a single piece of steel, but cable brings the advantages of flexibility and "insurance", in that a defect in one strand does not run across the whole cable. So it is stronger by being more reliable.

My remark about "lock step" was that CCP seemed to rely on people doing things together (such as playing games or doing routine work together) so that people had the same experience, like marching in time to the same music. It seems to me that the bonding and understanding which arises from collaboration is the creative mutual appropriation which arises out of conflict. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. So for CCP "intersubjectivity" indicating this empathy arising from identical experiences. For CHAT of course "intersubjectivity" is a very general category referring to participating in a same activity, but probably in very different ways and with different feelings and beliefs.

On shared concepts, of course we need shared concepts. My "warning" was just the obvious point that appropriating concepts can be the actual source of misunderstanding. An example of this is the constant complaints by Russians that the Americans have misunderstood Vygotsky. Care has to be taken. At first sight a new word seems to fit nicely into one's own point of view because it is "appropriated" and given a meaning which makes sense within the system of one's own view. So one and the same word has different meanings in different currents of thinking. It is necessary to enter somewhat more into the totality of ideas from which a word comes to acquire the concept it is indicating. Nonetheless, understanding a few concepts, properly, belonging to another science, is most important to successful interdisciplinarity.