[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Fwd: The Day Without Adjuncts at Northeastern
- To: PIG group <email@example.com>, "OSE@yahoogroups.com" <OSE@yahoogroups.com>, "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Fwd: The Day Without Adjuncts at Northeastern
- From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 01:54:02 +0000
- Cc: Carrie Lobman <email@example.com>, Tony Perone <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
As a former adjunct professor for many years, I am very sensitive when it
comes to the faculty rights! There should be no double standards when it
comes to the rights, working conditions, pay, benefits, and status of the
faculty, anyway! Period.
Please, help the Northeastern University adjunct faculty get a fair
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Faculty Forward Network <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 8:29 PM
Subject: The Day Without Adjuncts at Northeastern
To: Ana Marjanovic-Shane <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Friend us on Facebook
us on Twitter
[image: Faculty Forward Logo]
My name is Haley Malm. I am an adjunct lecturer at Northeastern University.
And I'm going on strike next week.
For 16 months, my colleagues and I have been bargaining with Northeastern
for fair pay and better working conditions, only to be met with endless
stall tactics, and other disrespect for our work.
At Northeastern, that means treating adjuncts as marginal, disposable
employees to help minimize instructional costs.
*That's why January 19, one week from today, will be A Day Without Adjuncts
-- if we don't have a contract by then.*
Students have stood by us for months, even taking dramatic action
to push the administration to act.
Now we need help from fellow faculty. Please send a message
to Northeastern President Joseph Aoun and Provost James Bean urging them to
show real leadership and reach an agreement that respects the work of
*I'm asking you to send a message to the Northeastern administration,
demanding that they reach a fair contract for adjunct faculty.*
*Why am I going on strike?*
- In the College of Professional Studies, where I teach, some
adjunct faculty make as little as $2,259 per course. President Aoun makes
more than that in a day.
- Rather than offer equitable health benefits to adjunct faculty who
work full-time, Northeastern unilaterally implemented separate, more
expensive coverage just for adjunct faculty, in violation of federal labor
- If Northeastern values me and my fellow adjunct faculty so little,
we should let them try and run things without us for a day.
- Most importantly, our students deserve better. Our teaching
conditions are their learning conditions, after all -- and this
administration does not prioritize good working conditions for faculty.
Northeastern is one of the largest universities in Massachusetts, with a
billion-dollar operating budget and a millionaire president. It can easily
afford the cents on the dollar a fair contract would cost. And if we win
better working conditions here, it could influence working conditions at
your school, as well.
*Please take a moment to tell President Aoun and Provost Bean that it's
time to treat adjunct faculty fairly.
In gratitude and solidarity,
Adjunct Lecturer, Northeastern University
Copyright © 2016 Faculty Forward
All rights reserved.
666 West End Ave, Suite 1B, New York, NY 10025
This email was sent to: email@example.com
Friend us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Dialogic Pedagogy Journal editor (dpj.pitt.edu)
Associate Professor of Education
Chestnut Hill College