[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Iriki - Using tools: The moment when mind, language, and humanity emerged
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Iriki - Using tools: The moment when mind, language, and humanity emerged
- From: Annalisa Aguilar <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 05:05:23 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Authentication-results: mailman.ucsd.edu; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none; mailman.ucsd.edu; dmarc=none action=none header.from=unm.edu;
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: <email@example.com>
- Thread-index: AQHQN5GjVd8oPn6G1kqc9s/dIa4Zeg==
- Thread-topic: [Xmca-l] Iriki - Using tools: The moment when mind, language, and humanity emerged
Something here to add to the fire to keep us warm in January! :)
I wonder: If tools shape our mind (as this Iriki article suggests), then does this confound tools as being solely influential upon our environment? Or does it mean that tools are bi-directional?
If so, does that then suggest that signs are also bi-directional? (That is, if signs, as a kind of staging for language, are inward shaping but also environmentally influencing, like tools?) And this would mean that propaganda would be likened to a tool, but also a sign.
Does this mean that we are able abandon the tool and the sign as a dichotomous enterprise (one pointing "inward" the other "outward") and see it as a continuum dependent upon and determined by many different factors and circumstances?
And taking this a teeny step further, to stimulate further discussion (of course), might education also be a tool _and_ a sign?
So that's for the bonfire!
Description: Iriki_Using tools_2009.pdf