From: mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
Date: 11/28/2013  2:04 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Critical Early Learning

This question is way late.... interest in discussing Paul and colleagues'
paper appears to have died out.

Martin sent us a paper that I take to be part of his "changing classes"
book project. In it he makes the following comment (the whole paper was
interesting to me).

*The developmental processes in school involve ontological change--change
in the kind of person a child becomes--and increasing this is becoming a
“relationalist ontology” as rationalization [of schooling] has its effect.*

I am still early in the process of learning to get with the "ontological
turn"
in Anthropology that Latour discussed at the Anthro meetings recently.
So mostly I am full of questions and uncertainties.

Here is one.  It has been fashionable for some time to talk about identity
formation in relation to ontogenetic development. In that way of talking,
I would translate the phenomenon "change in the kind of person a child
becomes" as "change in the child's identity as function of schooling" or
some such phrase.

What violence does such a translation create? Identities are "kinds of
people" and "kinds of entities in the world" is, I think, what ontology is
about.

mike

PS-- I recommend the article!

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co