[Xmca-l] Re: Play and symbolic thought --

Hi Beth!
How are you doing? It is friday afternoon here in Madrid, there are a lot of things to do but...I have got captured by your message (just as Andy was), and impressed by the other colleagues' answers... In addition to the pleasure of saying Hi to you, I would like to add couple of tip, most in the line of previous messages (Hi Peg!!): First, my colleague Cintia Rodríguez has made rich description of "triadic" interaccions (adult, baby and joy) where found symbolic uses of the object as early as the begining of the second year. My second tip is logical/methodological: It is nice to realize that you and your teachers are using a view of causal reasoning in terms of just one cause for just an effect, so you would be able to say as Aristotle, "we know a phenomenom when we know its cause". Peg is very lucid when says: "so why prescursor relation between play and symbolic thought?" And you can also add, which type of play for which type of symbolism? (remember Pierce's system of symbols). My last tip, why don't you explore/describe/analyze the developmental theory that your teachers and their children's parents use in everyday activities?
Have a nice weekend!
NACHO