From: Beth Ferholt <bferholt@gmail.com>
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 7:47 AM
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Play and symbolic thought --

Thank you for all the interesting responses, both the ones in this chain
and the many private responses we received -- we have been hard at work
thinking and reading in response!

We had not read all of the things that people sent, before -- Francine, can
you send your dissertation? -- but we were familiar with much of it of it,
also the work on play and narrative development, language development, and
metaphor. BTW, we just heard Bert van Oers talk, a very interesting talk,
and he mentioned near the start that the connection was inconclusive (a
2013 literature review – ).

However, what made us reach out to XMCA was the following dilemma:

The teachers at the preschool where we are working are generally suspicious
of developmental theory. Gunilla Dahlberg and Peter Moss write some of the
books they read in their training, and argue convincingly that
developmental theory is very important to the discourse that supports a
deficit model of the child. These teachers turn to Deluze before Piaget and
they are also wary of Vygotsky -- through the looking glass compared to
preschools in the US -- *and* these are the preschools that (because of
their practice) we would most want to be in if we were young children, or
would most want our kids and grandkids to be in, hand-down.

In any case, many of these teachers have taken on the task of showing us
that our idea that play leads to symbolic thought is not right. They show
us all this amazing play -- and symbolic thought -- that one year olds are
doing. They make films and take photographs and the give hour-long
presentations to us : ).

For instance, they showed us one year olds pretending a blade of grass was
a key and "opening" a locked door and describing what they saw inside. They
showed us one year olds using letters and numbers. In fact, my own just-two
year old, who has been attending their preschool for almost a year, could
identify letters and numbers months ago, and also seems to have an idea of
what these symbols mean/ are for (although I have to think more about why I
think this -- I DO think it is right, but why -- ). Many children in my
child's class do this, he is certainly not "gifted" when it come to
reading, so the point is that I had to see it in a child I knew really well
to believe it ... and I did, and I do.

So, we are stuck. We really are not ready to give up the relationship
between play and symbolic thought. But we are confused by what we are
seeing these very young children doing, and I suppose that when we wrote
XMCA we were sort of hoping for some impossible and longitudinal experiment
that showed that without play symbolic thought does not develop : ) . Of
course we know from Gaskins and Goncu that this is probably not right? So
perhaps an experiment that showed children incapable of symbolic thought,
playing, and then all of a sudden -- presto – hmmm.

Do people have further thoughts or questions for us? THey would be much
appreciated. We don't want to leave the teachers without defending what we
still think is so important about play, but maybe children are more capable
of both pretend play and symbolic thought, when they are very, very young,
than we thought after our years of teaching in other contexts (in which we
were less supported in seeing the competent child -- really the competent
toddler or even baby in this case) and than we though about after our
reading of VYgotsky on play.

Thanks to a few comments we ARE back to Wartovsky – It may be less about
seeing a competent child in these schools, than about their emphasis on the
arts?  Or maybe it’s both?

THank you all again for the help with this, Beth and Monica