[Xmca-l] Re: Prof. Ionna Kuçuradi

 From Carol, in a brave attempt to confess ignorance.

This is  all really very important, and we can see the negative effects of
 the (re-)emergence right-wing Christianity being  also in conflict with
these rights. What I need help with here, is the extraction of human rights
in this debate.  Where do we draw these human rights from, from where are
they deduced? What is their discourse?  I would like to know the basis of
which we can determine that human rights have a moral ascendency when
cultural rights are at odds with them.  I also wonder where  the gap is
between culture and religious rights? Or is this a discourse where
religious rights are subsumed under  or nested in cultural rights? (Or
vice-versa.)

I sense this is a philosophical debate, but discussions about human rights
surely impinge on any cultural or religious debates or even norms.

You see I have many questions.  Answering even one would help me understand
better.

Thanks

Carol

--