[Xmca-l] Re: (no subject)

Caitlin,

Be careful not to give too short shrift to the overzealous grad student who
bulldozes her colleagues during a debate. I think there is probably a lot
more at play here than what you might imagine. For example, it could be
that she has different cultural understandings about "what is play?" (cf.
Gregory Bateson - and be sure to check out his "The message "This is
play"'?" essay in the difficult to find Group Processes - it is critical!
As is his Theory of Play and Fantasy). I know many people that see intense
argumentation as a form of play (Deborah Schiffrin's paper on Jewish
argument is a nice piece to help think about the culturally specific nature
of the "metapragmatics of play"
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/4167542?uid=3739928&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102768046393-
but see also Stanton Wortham's work on local metapramatic models (I think
he uses the term "metapragmatic regimentation" to capture what Bateson was
after) and also R. Keith Sawyer's work on the cultural construction of
local "frames").

In Bateson's piece, he describes monkeys and otters (he referred to both in
different places) at the zoo and how they send a message "this is play".
This message makes it possible for them to engage in kinds of behavior that
would otherwise be seen as seriously threatening, such as fighting.

In human life, the metalinguistic work that conveys the message "this is
play" is very contingent upon the communities of practice with which we are
most familiar. So, what makes you think that the "bulldozing overzealous
graduate student" isn't just playing around?

I mean that in all seriousness.*

I appreciate your interest in opening play to something different from how
we normally think of it (e.g., as strictly opposed to "seriousness"). But
at the same time, I wonder if you might be heading down a slippery slope in
which play can be anything. I suspect my question of "opposition" may have
been taken differently than intended. To clarify, I was simply suggesting
that if "play" is going to be a useful category for understanding the world
around us, then one would need to say what it is. One way of saying what
something is is by saying what it is not. This is what I meant by "what
does it oppose?"

Put slightly differently, if you take the position that everything is play,
then the sun setting, a baby crying, the bombing of Hiroshima, all of these
things in themselves would be play. That doesn't make much sense to me.
Would you agree?

If those things are not play, then "what is play?" (or, alternatively,
"what is not play?").

-greg
*and we could, of course, ask this very question of this email: is this an
instance of me being a bit too serious with you? (and as a public display -
all the more vain of me). Or Is this play?
Maybe we could polls the XMCA community of those who read this? And what if
they said that it sounded too serious and yet I said that I MEANT it
playfully? Or vice-versa? What would it mean? How do we know if it is play
or not?