From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
[mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of C Barker
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:40 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; Mike Cole
Cc: Eugene Matusov; xmca-l@ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: ventriloquy

There is, of course, the risk that the term might suggest that the speaker
is a 'dummy', which Bakhtin, I am sure, did not mean. I've always assumed he
used the term to refer to the idea that much of what we speak is *other
people's* words, and indeed often their style of speech too.

A friend expressed a similar idea with the observation: "Be careful with
words, you don't know whose mouth they've been in"

Colin Barker