[Xmca-l] Re: (no subject)

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and great ideas! It's been really
helpful for me and I think I've been more able to mentally conceptualize
where I'm going. If this remains interesting, please continue to provide
feedback and ideas!

Greg-- Play as informal conversation is great verbiage...that gives me some
direction. Let's say informal, intellectually adventurous conversation. So,
I think you've hit the nail on the head...but I want to be careful to not
describe play as in opposition to seriousness. In fact, using Plato's
conceptualizations of play, I want to argue that the inability to play (due
to lack of practice in childhood, I suppose) is precisely what hinders
those strange and serious characters from engaging fully/creatively in
academia. For example, I think of the overzealous grad student who
bulldozes his colleagues during a debate or the uninspired post doc who is
too hard on herself when a project isn't going completely according to
plan. These people are successful insofar as they've arrived at a certain
selective/impressive place (definite snaps to that)...still, I would argue
that they would benefit from being intellectually playful/adventurous so
they can produce serious and creative work that is responsive to their
given context (empathy learned from play in childhood). So, a playful
attitude, I will submit, results in serious (and higher quality!) academic
work.

How does that sound? I suppose I don't think play is in opposition to
anything...

-C.