[Xmca-l] Re: (no subject)

Sorry,

This was a mistake.  It was supposed to be sent to a student who I was talking with about flipped classrooms.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Michael
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Glassman, Michael [glassman.13@osu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:59 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: (no subject)

It is funny.  I am as an independent study taking a MOOC course with some students.  One of the first things we have found is that the instructor wants to mix things.  He wanted to establish the type of trusted user system and non-hierarchical approach to information sharing that is part of an Open Source philosophy (read my open source paper .01), but at the same time he wants to offer the type of direct, hierarchically oriented information delivery from a typical lecture class.  I keep asking myself is this possible.

The same thing seems true of a flipped classroom.  They want an open classroom but they don't seem to want to give up control of topics and information that is so central to an open classroom.  They are hoping it seems the Internet will allow them to split the baby, but is there a real argument for this or is it only wishful thinking?

MIchael