[Xmca-l] Re: A Question about Reading and Motivation

Andy,

I have wondered if in a culture where hunting with bows and arrows is
valued, the child grows ups motivated to be skilled with using a bow. Is
the motivation *learning to read* the identification of wanting to be like
the others who participate in your world.
In our culture, [especially within schools], if reading is the way people
participate in sharing narrative than this MODE of communication is
valued. Is identification with doing what others are doing a motivation?

Beginning reading activity is a form of collaboration. As you mentioned,
collaboration may be master/slave, producer/consumer, or collaboration per
se. However, the activity *learning to read* can be displayed in all three
types of collaboration. The motivation is identification WITH ...??? in all
3 types of collaboration.

Larry