[Xmca-l] Re: meaning and sense

Larry,

Thank you for this wonderful reference. I will check the volume. Actually,
my dissertation was on a cognitive linguistic approach to second language
development. I used conceptual metaphor as a mediational tool to encourage
second language writers to reflect upon and transform their composition
practices. The impact was quite impressive, at least to me.

By the way, I am still pondering upon your previous mail. I am inclined to
conceptualize meaning as the process based on embodied cognition rather
than a kind of mental representation. So I would like to ask you whether
you are referring specifically to Vygotsky's use of the term "meaning and
sense" or a broader array of theoretical concepts in linguistics, including
the recent development in cognitive science.

-- Sungwoo