[Xmca-l] Re: meaning and sense

Andy,
I'm not convinced that this gets to the cultural-historical transformation
of meanings. Seems like he is saying that a word can have different
meanings in different contexts.

He says "Isolated in the lexicon, the word has only one meaning." That
seems to suggest a culturally historically synchronic view.

But that is not to say that Vygotsky doesn't have a strong appreciation for
the transformation of meanings across time (it would be weird if he
didn't). Just that I'm not seeing it here in this example.
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor