[Xmca-l] Re: Leontyev's activities

The reservations you mention are precisely the issues. That is why I look to concepts or ideals from which one can deduce norms of belief, action and meaning, rather than just relying on intentional pursuit of an externally existing aim.

Andy

Greg Thompson wrote:
Andy,
I think that this notion of "motive" gets a lot closer to where I'm trying to get to. If we want to speak of motivations, then we need to speak of them as distributed between people. This articulation of "motive" does it very nicely. (I'm not thrilled with the distinction between "only understood motives" vs. "really effective motives") The one place where I might still suggest some tweaking is in the sense in which a motivation appears as a highly intentional thing - as if it is something that is reflected upon and then undertaken. I think most activity does not have this quality - we too often find ourselves doing things that we didn't necessarily plan to do. Or to put this another way, we are often captured by moods such that it is only in retrospect that we construct a "motivation". And, of course, there are habitual actions that we engage in all the time, but which lack any sense of reflection. But this is not to say that there aren't many instances of intentional reflection upon one's motivations.
-greg