From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:07 PM
To: Andy Blunden; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Activity Setting

All concerned with this thread.

I am uncertain of anywhere that Vygotsky uses the term, "activity setting"
and most of the time when he uses the term, it seems that he does so in a common sense way, not as a technical term. Examples from text with citations would help here.

In our research in recent years we have worked with people who live in a subsidized housing project. When saying what we do to curious colleagues, we refer to "university- community partnerships/projects. But among ourselves, there is an ongoing discussion and considerable uneasiness in our promiscuous use of the term, community.

One thing about Cliff and Roland's article that I found myself wondering about is their use of the term, community. Culture is quite explicitly defined. Why not community? My guess is that the polysemy noted for activity and culture will reign here too, but I am a neophyte looking for direction which is why this article is interesting to me. I have downloaded two articles from a special issue of J Community Psychology from a special issue in 1996 that take on the notion of "sense of community" which is traced back to Sarason in Nelson and Prilleltiensky's text on Community Psychology. If people are interested, email me directly.

Concerning statements about culture, meaning, sense and understanding in the article an some of the comments here. The following kind of statement strikes me as ambiguous and potentially a source of misunderstanding, as reasonable as it appears (David's recent note is relevant here):

"culture is concerned with questions of shared *social *meanings, that is, the various

ways we make sense of the world."
I believe that Vygotsky distinguished sense and meaning, with meaning being "the most stable pole" of sense. To reduce culture to stable meanings runs the danger of losing the idea of culture as a process. At the same time, the notion that any word in any language has a meaning entirely held in common by all members of the social group involved seems really doubtful. The term, "shared" could use some reflection in this regard.

Reading with interest while dodging deadlines. :-) mike