Re: [xmca] Educational neuroscience

You cover such ground, Huw, and so many points of controversy, I cannot do justice in a brief reply. Let me make just a couple of points. As a Marxist of 46 years' standing, so far as I know, it is only the current of thinking initiated by Vygotsky where "unit of analysis" is explicitly recognised in its central role. This is despite the fact that Marx used the concept in formulating "Capital" and learnt it from Hegel and Goethe. In Hegel it was alas too mystified to be widely understood and was never explicitly elaborated by Marx. There are just some suggestive passages here and there.

But, restricting ourselves to Marxism as known to Vygotsky, Ilyenkov, Davydov & Co., I don't believe the distinction you propose stands. It is true that the subject matter of Marxist study is human activity and activity constitutes the *substance* of Marx's philosophy, insofar as he did elaborate a "philosophy." Natural science is based on the assumption that the object of study exists independently of human activity but can be known through human activity. But I don't see that the idea of "unit of analysis" as a really-existing concept of the whole is something special to either human science or natural science. As a Marxist would understand it, it must always be a simple (abstract) concept. The idea did originate with Goethe after all, who saw it as part of the natural sciences.

As to Model. You are correct. I did not attempt in that post to deal with every issue. I am not quite sure about this concept. I think it is closer to the System Concept than Unit of Analysis. A model sets out the chief elements of the process and their forms of action and interaction, with the aim of approximating the system's behaviour. It could be an analogue. I am not sure, but perhaps "Model" is just not such a well-defined concept, and it simply lacks the sharp definition which we have of "system concept" and "unit of analysis"? But model does aim to describe the whole system and open it to analysis. It is not the idea of "model" that the Gestalt is a mass of realisations of the model, so far as I know.

When we are dealing with human life, there are always at least two levels of analysis, a molecular and a molar level. Analytical science does have difficulty, in my experience, with the idea of a molar unit (i.e. an activity), and yet one can never make sense of an action without knowing the activity which is serves. It is interesting your observation about "two systems of thought", psychological system and (?) concept or ideal. I am sure that human life could never be grasped without such competing concepts. All these ideas have their origin in Vygotsky and his collaborators, but he just did not live long enough to see them fully developed.

Only touched on what you have said, Huw.

Andy

Huw Lloyd wrote:

Andy,

As far as I am aware, the Marxian dialectical materialism addresses dynamics of producing human artifacts and is not concerned with natural phenomena as an object of study. You mentioned Model but did not figure this into your formulation. The model seems necessary to distinguish the study of natural phenomena (but we can, ofcourse model artificial phenomena too). The model is such an artifact which is "created" in the process of studying the natural phenomena.

A Marxian unit of analysis is required to be reducible to a single basis (Marx, Davydov). But there is no such requirement for natural phenomena to reduce to a single basis, although I believe attempts have been made to formulate this (e.g. negentropy).

From the position of the natural scientists (with their models and experiments) there is no such deep need to identify the unit of analysis in Marxian terms. Rather, the natural scientist's "unit of analysis" contributes toward the genetic understanding of the origins of the natural phenomena studies, which is achieved through an appreciation of the unfolding, interacting, systemic relations of natural phenomena. The "unit" under these circumstances is the system of interest (system to the un-initiated is not easily defined). But it is also appreciated that a system is not isolated from all other natural phenomena (which is in basic agreement with the materialist conception of mind).

This leaves us in the interesting position of having two complementary systems of thought applicable to two related phenomena.

1. The image-ideal elaborated upon by Ilyenkov, Davydov etc, which traces the genesis of the (artificial) concept.

2. The psychological system elaborated by Vygotsky, Luria etc, which traces the changing (genesis) functional relations of the system in support of these artificial concepts.

The interaction of these two systems of thought yields further considerations such as:

1. The tentative demarcation of a functional system of interest on the basis of a dialectical-materialist unit of analysis (e.g. those changing systems at play in "thought and speech") and the system of activity that the subject participates in.

2. The genesis (of the concept?) of the model and its social influence etc, which includes the history of the concept of system.

With respect to your comment "The unit of analysis suggests the method", I would say, rather, that the awareness of the holistic nature of the activity system and the conceived of sub-systems necessary participation in this configuration affords the method. Or, the problem of modelling this psychological behaviour is facillitated by the appreciation of object-oriented activity as a holistic system. I have not had much time to disconfirm the points I have inferred (e.g. I have some Davydov & Ilyenkov, but not much Marx and less Hegel), but have yet to find anything that contradicts this.

I look forward to your comments!

Huw