Re: [xmca] Educational neuroscience

Andy ! To what you've explicated , I'd like to add paragraphs from the 'first book' again ; one could find relationships especially when we read the details Luria give us in each case but one big question remains : the difference between a method of paramedicals (religious , Buddhistic , intervention of high spirits as described by Vygotsky when discussing James-Long Theory , etc.) and a method of scientific procurement as well as piercing into the gaps which are being gradually filled by a process of Scientific Development :

[[The acute state of the
trauma, complicated by
the
necessity
of
concealing it,
bound in
by
the fear of
expressing itself,
creates
in the criminal a state of
exceedingly
acute affective
tension;
this tension is
very probably exaggerated
because the
subject
is under the fear of
disclosing
his
crime;
the more serious the
crime,
the more marked the
affect,
and the
greater
the
danger
of
disclosing it,
the more this
complex
is
suppressed,
and we
have
already
seen what a remarkable destruction of the most
important neurodynamical
functions characterises the behaviour
of the criminal.]]

That the state of the criminal in whom the tension cannot
find exit
anywhere may
become
actually
insufferable is beautifully
illustrated in the
pages
of
great literary productions.
The
suppression
of the
complexes
is here
truly insufferable,
and the
subject experiencing
them is
certainly
not in a condition
to remain
passive during
the course of this
affect;
he must
orient himself in such a
way
that he
discharge
the tension and
save himself from an external
play
of
excitation,
which
upsets
all of his behavour and
keeps
him
incessantly
under the fear
of detection.
Such a tension is
undoubtedly
one of the most serious factors
for the criminal in the
recognition
of his
guilt. By
confession
the criminal has the means to avoid the affective
traces,
to find
an exit for the
tension,
discharge
that affective tonus which
created within him an unbearable conflict. Confession can eliminate this conflict and restore the
personality
in a certain
degree
to a normal
state,
and this is its
psychophysiological significance.
The
psychophysiological
role of confession has been evaluated
for a
long time;
the ancient
teaching concerning
catharsis con-

sidered confession in offences an
expiation; Christianity
in its
use of confession
always employed
this
psychological principle
of
alleviation,
and
brought
about avoidance of the affective
traces
by having
the
subject
relate the sins
troubling
him to an
official of the church
; finally,
all
psychotherapy,
and
especially
every therapeutic system
of
psychoanalysis proceeds
from this
principle,
which is connected with the transfer of the
complexes
and a relief of the tension in the consciousness. This
principle,
so well established in the various
therapeutic processes,
is
directly
connected with the
powerful process
of elimination of the affective
complexes;
and
precisely
this is the
specific
value of the
therapeutic
effect of
psychoanalysis.
In the situation of
crime,
we
may expect
the influence of
such avoidance in
especially
marked forms. Admission of
guilt
removes from the criminal those restraints which controlled each
of his
steps
and
every
one of his
thoughts
and created an exceedingly
acute conflict of
very
marked tension
;
thus confession
is a
path
to the relief of affect and to the reestablishment of a
more normal functional life.
From the
psychophysiological investigation
of crime and confession,
we
may expect, consequently,
extreme
changes
in the
behaviour
compared
to what it was before
confession,
the removal of acute
symptoms
of affective traces connected with the
crime, and, finally,
the removal of the
suppressed complex
striving
express
itself in some
activity,
the control of which is
weakened. On the
contrary,
the confession should
give
us a
psychophysiological picture
of
discharge, ventilation, and,
connected with
this,
a certain calmness of the behaviour. The experiments
on the
psychophysiology
of confession arouse in
us,
then,
deep
theoretical interest.]]

Now it's high time to go so far as to compare these highly-evaluated content of a very raw kind of 'perezhivanie' with the content of Vasiluk's book of 'perezhivanie' (experiencing + ...) and the very nice content of a very short paragraph Greg so diligently presented to us from the same author in time .
Best
Haydi