Re: [xmca] Finland

Hello,

I have not read Finnish Lessons but reading the Guardian article, I can
align with Pasi Sahlberg in the points he makes in the article about the
success and equity of Finnish comprehensive school.

Yet, one weakness in Finnish comprehensive school is a strong emphasis on
epistemic aspects of learning, at the expense of ontological and
socio-emotional aspects. I and my colleagues have pointed this out, as
follows (see,
http://www.academia.edu/1214948/Expanding_the_Chronotopes_of_Schooling_for_Promotion_of_Students_Agency
)

”…One indication of this lack of agentic experiences is that, despite the
successes of the Finnish education system in international assessments
(OECD, 2010), a recent survey reported that a third of Finnish secondary
school students did not know how to take part in decision-making at school
and, when they did take part, their opinions were not taken into account in
school development (School Health Promotion Study, 2011). Furthermore, in
international comparisons, Finnish students are ranked highly in societal
knowledge and competence, but they are not taking part in politics or
public affairs in general (Schulz, Ainley, Fraillon, Kerr, and Losito,
2010)…”

In line with this critique, a recent political debate in Finnish media
concerns the high number of drop outs that do not continue schooling after
the compulsory nine years. Recently, our minister of education proposed
that as a resolution, compulsory schooling should be extended with one year.

As Jaana pointed out, there are social and political forces that threaten
the equitability of the system. For example, in recent years media has
reported that instead of putting their children to the nearest school
(”lähikoulu” in Finnish), which has been very common, parents have
increasingly started to avoid schools with a large proportion of immigrant
students.
Nonetheless, despite these critiques I am a strong advocate of Finnish
educational policy, in particular, with respect to educational equity.
Jaana, I am aware that parents’ educational background still designates
children’s educational future in Finland, to a large extent. But is there a
comparative study that tells us what is the situation in other countries
and what are the similarities and difference to the Finnish situation?

I also think that there is no easy way of replicating the ”best practices”
in other countries since educational outcomes are very much a consequence
of larger socio-cultural-historical influences. Reijo Miettinen has
recently published a book that discusses this topic in a thorough way:

Miettinen, Reijo (2013). Innovation, human capabilities and democracy.
Towards an enabling welfare state. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Overall, the book analyzes and discusses innovation policies and welfare in
more general terms, and proposes a new concept of enabling welfare state.
As an example, Miettinen conducts a CHAT analysis of Finnish comprehensive
school and its special education system in the light of the PISA
success. Partly overlapping with Sahlberg, Miettinen discusses several
inter-related explanations.

1) The Finnish language and population
2) The political history of Finland
3) The late economic transformation of the country and the need to
integrate of the population
4) The popularity and esteem enjoyed by the teaching profession as well as
the university-level education of teachers
5) The decentralized, trust-based governance of the comprehensive school
system
6) Special education systems based on the early recognition of learning
difficulties and the immediate provision of support for them

Then, Miettinen goes on to analyse the historical emergence and development
of the Finnish comprehensive school. For example, he shows how a system of
streaming students into separate tracks developed into a crisis which was
resolved by replacing the streaming system with a student care and special
education system. Initially, in the streaming system the students were
grouped into two or three levels in mathematics, the second national
language (Swedish) and foreign languages in grades 5-9.

After this Miettinen discusses how a supporting system emerged to support
special education teachers in their work of dealing with diversity of
students. He argues that the foundations of professional expertise of the
special education teachers were provided in the development of diagnostic
tools, remedial materials and pedagogical solutions. These
instrumentalities in turn crucially rely on the development of
multiorganizational field of special education and the forms of interactive
learning among various organizations supporting the work of special
education teachers.

This analysis shows the interdependency of the explanations 5) and 6)
above. Miettinen argues that the richness of distributed agency and
initiative to form new associations within the field is possible because of
the autonomy of the agents in the field. A strict national control would
have directed the efforts of the field in predetermined directions and
would not have stimulated the emergence of new associations, experiments,
sets of tools and complementary expertise within the field. Thus, the
change to the decentralized, trust-based governance of the comprehensive
school system stimulated the initiative and interaction between various
actors.

Antti