Re: VS: [xmca] Finland

Hello Leif, Ruano, other:

Privatization of public education is taking another form in San Francisco.

Usually, it's the familiar combination of a high-stakes tests (which cost
$), closing schools, dismissing elected school boards and shifting funds
and support to charter schools run by private corporations. That works
fine for K-12. But how do you privatize higher ed?

California still has a huge (112 institutions) system of low-cost
community colleges that form the basis of the pyramid of educational
opportunity here: community colleges, state colleges and universities, and
the University of California. Back in the 1960s, the California Master
Plan declared that public higher education would be "free," meaning,
no-cost.For a while, that actually happened. Even today, this ideal has
been damaged but not destroyed.

Now along comes the ACCJC (Accreditation Commission for Community and
Junior Colleges). Although the ACCJC is not part of the Department of
Education,they are "approved" by it and are effectively the gatekeeper to
federal funds. They have issued a decision to withdraw accreditation from
City College of San Francisco as of July 2014. This would effectively shut
the place down. This is a huge campus with over 1,000 faculty, 100,000
students, founded in 1935 and deeply integrated into the civil society of
the city.  The reasons for withdrawing accreditation have little to do
with the quality of education the students are getting -- which everyone
agrees is good and often really great. The reasons have to do with
governance, mission, too much democracy - elected department chairs --
too much non-credit adult education (San Francisco has a huge immigrant
population and CCSF has a great ESL program) and too generous working
conditions for adjuncts/part-timers (job security, 80% pro rata pay,
health benefits).

Here's a link to a critique of the accreditation commission:

http://www.aft1493.org/other/accjc-gone-wild-1.pdf

Who will benefit when SFCC shuts down? Where will these students go? To
the for-profits, which are springing up everywhere these days. And for
which they'll have to borrow money in order to pay the tuition.

 Here's a link to the ACCJC newsletter:

http://www.accjc.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Final-fall-2012-newsletter.
pdf

Amazing what these guys will come up with!!

Helena