From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] on behalf of White, Phillip [Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:06 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] Knotworking and Brazil

E. P. Thompson in "The making of the english working class" - points out that just before and after the glorious revolution of 1688 the questions of teaching reading and writing to the lower classes through sunday school activities, notes that in time religious dissenters began writing letters to one another regarding the organizations of dissenters churches, as well as the continuation of teaching reading and writing to those generally deemed illiterate.  the singular act of letter writing was deemed by the crown to be a treasonous act.  considering the founding of the thirteen colonies on the american eastern seaboard, the activity of letter writing as an organizing tool for distance communities continued - so that by the 1770's, the committees of correspondence emerged which led to the organizing within the colonies the war of independence from england.

clearly in brazil now the multiple venues within the internet are being exploited as tools of organization.

it think that it is still unclear how successful those venues have been for occupy wall street, protestations in germany, spain, portugal and greece, much less for wikileaks and snowden.

sometimes these times seem like a re-run of the revolutions of the late 1840's in europe.

phillip