Re: [xmca] Engestrom's Finnish Proposal

martin,
this article by dodd has deep relevance.
the type of sociology called *reflexive historical sociology* is
re-engaging with the *founding* fathers of sociology and opens up a GAP.
[see mike's paper on gaps]

Page 430 - 431 where Dodd explores Simmel's INTERPRETIVE [reflexive] way of
orienting engages with the relevance of imaginable realms.

Here is a relevant excerpt from page 430:

Simmel moves from BENEATH to BEYOND social facts. He says that the
sociologist who wants to supplement the fragmentary character of empirical
facts *in the direction of a closed system* must look for the religious or
metaphysical significance of them. THIS significance may be asserted OR
denied as both *derive from a super-empirical world view*.
According to Simmel such extensions beyond social life can only be arrived
at by INTERPRETING facts, *by efforts to bring the relative and
problematical elements of social reality UNDER an over-all view. This
over-all view does not compete with empirical claims but *serves needs
which are quite different from those answered by empirical propositions*.
To construct such an [over-all] view is a METAPHYSICAL trash based on
world-view, valuation, and ultimate or undemonstrable CONVICTION.
Is such an extension BEYOND social life desirable and necessary to achieve
what Simmel calls an over-all view? The answer depends on what QUALITIES an
over-all view would have Simmel suggests it should possess COMPLETENESS.
I [Dodd] want to suggest it does not require completeness. The task of
constructing it [over-all view] while perhaps requiring IMAGINATION is not
metaphysical. The task requires a PARTICULAR MODE OF PRESENTATION AND
REASONING.

Martin, I found this excerpt very relevant to what I understand as a
*medial voice* presenting an analogical kind or type of reasoning.
Ur-phenomena may be one way to return to reflexive historical sociology as
one polyphonic voice within cultural-historical gaps and openings.

larry